Donnerstag, 20. November 2014

Microphones - the hidden horror


Microphones


TRIGGER WARNING
If your feelings get crused rather easily by maybe-offending posts, you shouldn't read this. It's really not offending, but who knows.


typical sexist microphone
There are many hidden instances of partriachal oppression in our society. And let me tell you, those are the most terrifying of them all. Last week, I was at a conference about banning penis-shaped vegetables, as my eyes widened in dread. I couldn't even fathom the irony that was taking place at this particular moment. 

There she was, one of our speakers (better don't give away the name, bc harassment), speaking into a microphone. I may have to capitalize it to really give away what I mean. A microphone!

Now, please don't think I'm crazy. I know I'm kinda emotional right now, and I hope I can get this post clear to you without  having to repeat myself too often. I was emotional back then, too. Breaking into sweats, nervously skidding around in my chair, when the observation hit me. It's hard to write down, too.


Microphones are long and they have a thick end. You have to get close with your mouth to speak into them. Then, your voice is used as an object to be transported to the speakers, and into the room, as sound. I want to make this absolutely clear. This is a violation of the female body, which only "gets a voice" through a phallic object. 

When we translate this symbol, this means that every female can only speak out if they objectify themselves, and get used by a representation of manliness, as in this instance, a microphone. Or a pencil.

As my dear feminist colleagues noticed my disturbed feelings, I got to talk about the issue. Things went on and on, and we actually discussed this issue further.

Now, I am very happy to announce on this blog that we are, at this moment, developing a non-phallic
An early prototype
microphone. It is actually shaped like a vagina to fight patriarchy and give feminists all over the world a voice. A voice that we truly deserve.

Until then we have to make our voices heard. Why should we, as the gentle gender, have to speak up and louder than we really want to? Should we really be dictated by rape culture how loud we should talk? We shouldn't have to speak louder than men, we just have to teach them to speak in a lower voice than us.



So they don't oppress us via our voices. Again. So speak up, girls and woman all over the world, but not louder than men. Just say it more often what you want, or with a bit more nag., I don't know, don't aske me, fighting the partiarchy is hard, and you don't need me to tell you to just abide by what I say. I'm a feminist, so it validates like - everything what I say.


I'd like to hear your voices in the comments, though, or you could follow me as well.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen